Who is Joel A. Barker?
I’m a husband & father who loves Jesus and His story. I love to hang out with my beautiful wife, Tina and my four fun-loving boys, Zach, Elijah, Jaxon, & Toby. I also love to worship, study, and teach Scripture.
I love writing. I feel like it’s one of many callings in my life. From 2008-2012, I used my writing ability in the sports world. I had a blast covering football and baseball games. However, in April 2012, I felt the call of God to a deeper involvement in ministry—writing included. Little did I know that was just the beginning of a wild and crazy journey that would test my faith in ways I didn’t know possible.
In those eight years, we have seen the hand of God move for us in many ways. We sold the house and moved 115 miles away from my home city to plant a church. That church still doesn’t exist anywhere but in mine and Tina’s heart. However, the lessons we’ve learned since that move in 2017 have been invaluable in our relationship with Christ.
The theme God has given me for this season is hope. On this blog, I pray my writings exude hope that will help you on your journey.
11 random facts about me
- My wife, Tina, and I were married on May 11, 2002, in Rupert, West Virginia.
- Tina is a remarkably gifted graphic artist.
- I love Gospel music. Jonathan McReynolds is my favorite Gospel artist at the moment. In fact, I love most forms of the Christian music genre. From the Gold City Quartet to DC Talk to Donnie McClurkin and every thing in between.
- I am a long-suffering University of Tennessee Vols fan—football, baseball, and basketball. Go Big Orange!
- Major League Baseball is my favorite sport. Let’s go Braves!
- Podcasts are one of my preferred pastimes. Among my favorites: The Carey Nieuwhoff Leadership Podcast, Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn, and Positive University with Jon Gordon.
- I read a lot of A.W. Tozer, N.T. Wright, Jon Gordon & John Maxwell.
- We are a baseball family. We’ve traveled all over the southeast USA to watch my oldest son Zach pitch. He’s pretty good at it.
- Superhero movies are my favorite. I like both Marvel and DC, but that’s probably not allowed.
- I once tried out for the Cincinnati Reds. Did I mention we like baseball?
- Our boys are our world. They each bring something different to the table. In addition to being a really good athlete, 16-year old Zachary is an aspiring musician and producer. 13-year old Elijah is an avid reader and budding chef. 8-year old Jaxon is the most athletic of the bunch excelling in baseball, football, soccer, and basketball. And our youngest, 6-year old Toby is the promoter of the group. He’s either going to be a politician or a really good salesman one day.